Historic Edinburgh

Remains and relics of Edinburgh’s first inhabitants have been found on the volcanic ridge where Edinburgh Castle now sits, dating back to around 600BC.

As the Castle grew in size and importance, random settlements sprang up along the route now followed by the Royal Mile.  These eventually merged together in the early Middle Ages to create the Old Town – or Auld Town – the most ancient part of Edinburgh, now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The site of this suberb new development at 123 Royal Mile has its own distinct history too.  Back, in 1615, this was the location of an elegant four-storey house belonging to the Bishop of St Andrews, eventually reduced to just one level following a fire in 1960s.  Directly to the rear of the property is Bishop Sydserf’s House where, legend has it, Scotland’s national bard Robert Burns came for French lessons in the 1780s.

For sumptuous modern living surrounded by all the splendours of a long and illustrious past … what more could you ask?

Find out more about the huge variety of historical attractions near 123 High Street