Holyrood Palace

A short stroll from 123 High Street down to the bottom of the Royal Mile will bring you to the historic Palace of Holyroodhouse. Originally founded as an Augustinian monastery nearly 900 years ago, the Palace we see today is the result of rebuilding by James V of Scotland and then, a century later, by Charles 11 during the Restoration period after the Civil War.

It is perhaps most famous for its association with James V’s daughter Mary Queen of Scots who lived here for much of her tumultuous reign. It was here that her loyal secretary and rumoured lover David Rizzio was brutally murdered by jealous conspirators – the exact place where the deed was done remaining a magnet attraction for visitors to this day. The Palace was also the headquarters of Bonnie Prince Charlie before leading his Highland troops to defeat at Culloden in 1745.

Holyrood has long been the official royal residence in Scotland, and now houses a significant part of the Royal Collection of paintings and works of art which can be viewed both within the Palace itself and in the adjacent Queen’s Gallery.